Better-Than-Takeout Beef & Broccoli
Why get takeout when you can make it yourself? This better-than-takeout beef and broccoli recipe is a healthy, low-cost option, plus its delicious and super easy to make.
- 1 lb. sirloin steak, sliced thinly against grain (flank or skirt steak will work too!)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
FOR THE MARINADE
- 2/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 tbsp. packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 c. low-sodium beef (or chicken) broth
- 2 tsp. Sriracha (optional)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Thinly sliced green onions, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1/3 cup soy sauce, lime juice, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch until combined. Add sliced steak, season with salt and pepper, and toss until steak is coated. Marinate 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add steak in a single layer, working in batches if needed, and cook until seared, about 2 minutes per side. Remove steak and set aside.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until garlic is coated, then stir in broth, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar, remaining 1/3 cup soy sauce, and Sriracha. Bring mixture to a simmer. Add broccoli and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper (if necessary), then return steak to skillet.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions before serving.
< Go Back